Friday, March 28, 2014

the process of making pie

I chose pie because my mom and i would make pies together for the holidays we would make lots of pie crusts the day before then put them in the freezer over night and make the pie filling the next morning and pill the pie crusts as we made the fillings and put them in the oven. It was a bonding time for my mom and i. She taught me how to make a lot of the stuff that we made on holidays but the pie crusts has the most meaning because we just sat at the dining room table and put all the ingredients together and rolled the crust, joking around being silly, jamming out to some oldies music and talking about anything and everything.
 
The process of making pie is easy, that's probably why people say "its easy as pie."
 First you add flour in a bowl and you get cold butter and cut it into smaller pieces, then you smash the butter with your fingers, in the flour, but don't touch the butter too much because you don't want it to melt. Then you get a measuring cup and put ice water in it. After you get done smashing all the butter add the ice cold water with a tablespoon working it into the crust until all the dough sticks together, but the crust should be dry. If you add too much water you can add a little more flour to dry it up. When your finally done with kneading the dough you roll it into a ball and start to roll it out with a rolling pin. It should be pretty thin, but not so thin that you cant pick it up and put it in the pie dish. After you get done rolling it, i like to place the pie dish upside down on it to make sure that the crust will cover the whole dish, if it does then i pick up the crust and put it in the dish and cut the crust that goes off the side and decorate the outer edges.




 If I'm gonna finish the pie the next day i just put the crust in the freezer and finish in the morning, but if I'm doing it that day i go ahead and add the pie fillings then put it in the oven and boom its done. My favorite is my moms pecan pie but I've never made that before. I always make apple pie, with the canned apple but i add cinnamon sugar.


 
My mom found the recipe for the pie crust in the recipe that we have from my great grandmother on my dads side. My grandma on my moms side couldn't cook to save her life! Honestly my mom and her kids are pretty much the only people in our family that can cook. My mom taught all her kids how to cook and bake including the boys. She always said that everyone should know how to cook, we need to know how to take care of ourselves. She told me that i need to learn how to cook because when i have a family i need to know how to feed them without them wanting to starve themselves! When my daughter gets old enough to start helping me i will teach her how to make the pies and the Christmas cookies. Baking and cooking with my mom for the holidays was something that i will never forget, its very sentimental to me. Even now that i don't live with her i like to come help with the pies and i bring some of my own pies.
 
 


 
 I don't know how to make her pecan pie (its on my to-do list) but i do make other kinds of pies. I like the experiment and try new types of pies. Last year i made a blueberry pie and a apple pie. I left the blueberry pie at my parents house and my mom called me and told me that my dad and brothers were fighting over the last piece of the pie. Traditionally my mom only made pumpkin pie and pecan pie. I bring the variety! ;) i don't make very many pies, in fact last year i only made two. My older sister is convinced that i will take over the holiday stress of having the family over and cooking, but i am fighting it for now! Misty, my sister, usually brings a bunch of dips and a dirt cake because dirt cake is her husband's favorite and his birthday is Christmas Eve. Sometimes my older brother Joseph brings apple pie, its been a few since that's happened. My aunt and uncle buy rolls and the bring soda. After we eat our huge meal we sit around eating pie and playing games. All the guys play poker and the girls sit at a different table playing board games with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment