Tuesday, April 22, 2014

What is a place essay- Copperhead Road (the correct one)


Copperhead Road

I grew up on a road called Copperhead. It’s in the middle of nowhere land, Bruner, MO. My neighbors and I were in different school districts, my brothers and I went to Ava, one of our neighbors went to Sparta, and another neighbor went to Fordland. My brothers and I ran all over that road, riding our bikes, chasing each other, and hiding from each other. It was where we grew up. We raised all hell in those woods, trying to ride our neighbor’s horses without anyone finding out. We used to climb under the fence and run around the field with the three beautiful horses that roamed the area along the road. One of the male horses was white with painted black dots all over him; he had one crazy blue eye and one black eye. We named him Chocolate Swirl. The female was spotted like a Dalmatian with light brown eyes, she was super sweet, and we named her spots. My favorite had milk chocolate fur with black eyes and a white diamond on his face, his name was Diamond.  My brothers always climbed a tree and tried to jump on the horses when they got close to fence. I would climb on top of the fence so that I could try to get on Diamond. We never actually succeeded on getting on them, but we were very persistent!
There was a few ponds close to the road that we would try to catch frogs in, we tried to skip rocks off the water, we tried to walk on the pond when it was frozen in the winter, we even swam in it a couple times one summer. Obviously that isn't sanitary, so we always had to rinse off with the ice cold water from the water hose before we could even go inside the house. It was a race to see who could rinse off and get in the shower the fastest. I usually lost because my long thick hair would be full of clumps of mud, which took a super long time to rinse out with the agonizingly cold water. 
Jake and Austin always liked to try to do tricks on their bikes; they were pretty good considering it was on a dirt road. They made ramps and tried to jump over obstacles. I tried it once, it was horrific. I went on the ramp and somehow I landed on my back with the bike on top of me. I landed on the cloud of sharp spears. It didn’t cause any real damage just a few cuts and bruises. My brothers are super protective; they have an epic episode when I get hurt. It’s sweet, but just ridiculous. My mom cleaned up my bloody knees and elbows and put some Band-Aids on me.
When I was in elementary school the school bus had a different route, so I had to walk down a huge steep hill on a small path through the woods. My older brother was a senior in high school and I was in Kindergarten. We walked down that road every morning and every afternoon after school. After that year my brother graduated and he was kind of scared of walking down the path in the woods at night so I had to do it by myself a lot. I was young and unaware of all the terrifying things in the world, so I didn’t mind. Near the end on my first grade year I was walking home after school and I came across a snake. It hissed at me its scary eyes staring into my soul. I backed up and started throwing rocks at it while I was screaming my head off. The disgusting snake quickly slithered out of the path. I ran like the boogie man was behind me the whole way home, never turning around, never stopping to take a breathe until I walked into my house. The road was called Copperhead Road because it used to have a lot of copperheads all over the area. There were definitely a lot of snakes around that area, snakes just happen to be my biggest fear!
Later the school decided that the bus should go by our house so that we didn’t have to walk in the woods anymore. My brothers started going to school my second grade year so they never had to walk down that path. The bus is how we met most of our neighbors and made plenty of friends around our house. My brothers are twins so they got popular pretty fast. I guess people think twins are the coolest thing since sliced bread. I never really thought about it, we didn’t really even notice until we started going to school and everyone started making a big deal about them looking exactly the same.
I had a neighbor that lived less than a mile from me; she has been my best friend since we were in diapers. We used to sneak out of the road and meet in the middle. One day it was raining really hard and we were in our pajamas, we ran up and down the muddy dirt road. We jumped in every mud puddle trying to splash each other. My pajamas were white before I left the house, after that day I had to throw them away. Marina and I had a lot of fun that day!
After a while Marina and I started telling our parents that we were just going to go jogging together. To be honest I’m not sure her mom liked that very much because she thought I was a bad influence, the truth is Marina was crazy! I was the ‘let’s go have fun’ type of girl and she was the ‘let’s get into trouble’ type of girl. Not a good combination. We never did anything too crazy, but we had a lot of good times and there are a lot of good memories on Copperhead Road.

No comments:

Post a Comment